Buddy Support Scheme
Primary Care is under increased pressure due to the number of prisoners coming into prison with health and social care needs. Remand prisons, in particular, suffer as the volumes of people passing through can be over 200 a month. With restricted staffing levels in many prisons, this can be exacerbated when prison officers are required to escort prisoners out to hospital appointments.
Working alongside Devon County Council and three prisons in Devon, RECOOP has been delivering The Buddy Support Scheme in HMPs Channings Wood, Dartmoor and Exeter for over three years. The Programme is designed to equip prisoners to support other prisoners with health and social care needs and the day-to-day challenges they face within an often very difficult environment. Selected prisoners are trained in 14 modules, based on the National Care Standards, to support their fellow inmates with the intention that through support, there can be an element of prevention (wherever possible) in any further decline in the individual’s ability or health and social care needs.
As one Prison Officer on a Social Care Wing commented:
“RECOOP is well placed to offer this support owing to their expert knowledge of working with older prisoners and national influence. Buddy Training should be widely publicised to encourage other prisons to take up this good practice.”
For further information please contact: email@example.com
- "RECOOP group has given me the chance to explore and challenge myself in ways I thought I was incapable of" https://t.co/lfcq2noLZv9:59am, Jan 18, 2018
- "Renewed my faith in what is possible in the justice system" https://t.co/Z9rbWimJa710:20am, Jan 05, 2018
- "It’s been enormously helpful to collaborate with RECOOP" Laura Roan @OsborneNY https://t.co/aNjRbQPV6G9:44am, Oct 09, 2017
- “All on the course felt empowered – even me!”– pilot ‘Transition 50+ Resettlement Programme’ is a resounding success https://t.co/DEOr2vggqt10:42am, Aug 18, 2017
- Ryan Harman, @PRTuk and RECOOP Trustee talks about Social Care in Prison https://t.co/KLAiMLptSx9:16am, Aug 07, 2017
- “Provision for older prisoners by The Lobster Pot was outstanding” - HMP Leyhill IMB Report https://t.co/vwPUitwCnC10:45am, Aug 01, 2017
- A personal story from an older prisoner so relevant to the challenges of our service-users https://t.co/cbfuqhHuEf9:37am, Jul 19, 2017
- RECOOP & SSAFA working together to give ex-servicemen and women a stronger chance of successful rehabilitation https://t.co/5j7p0kTTSm11:06am, Jul 12, 2017
- Prisons & Probation Ombudsman highlights the urgent need to address rise in number of older prisoners https://t.co/fGqlvz4jEc2:26pm, Jun 29, 2017
- The Guardian highlights the ever-increasing challenges faced by older prisoners https://t.co/5khr4xNfBy12:59pm, Jun 26, 2017