Armed Forces Day
Armed Forces Day is traditionally marked on 24th June by events including parades, military displays and community fetes, taking place across the country. Sailors, Soldiers, Airmen and women, both Regulars and Reservists, Cadets and veterans past and present are being recognised.
Approximately 4% of the population in prison are veterans and convictions primarily involved violence, within a short period following discharge. The majority of cases were drug or alcohol-related.
A considerable number of ex-soldiers, who have served in conflicts, may be suffering the hidden wounds of combat related mental traumas. They may physically return from conflict, but their head may remain in the war zone, resulting in a combat related condition, such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). PTSD is often undiagnosed and can be a trigger for the acts that lead some former armed forces personnel into prison.
SSAFA Prison in Reach offers assistance to ex-servicemen and women serving a custodial sentence and due for release. The service they offer is to assist with clothing, household items and if possible rent and deposit. In some circumstances they can assist with educational/training courses. SSAFA can also offer assistance to families if considered appropriate to do so.
With RECOOP, SSAFA volunteers and prison staff in the Devon Prison Cluster working together, ex-servicemen and women entering the criminal justice system will be better supported and given a stronger chance of successful rehabilitation.
- A personal story from an older prisoner so relevant to the challenges of our service-users https://t.co/cbfuqhHuEf9:37am, Jul 19, 2017
- RECOOP & SSAFA working together to give ex-servicemen and women a stronger chance of successful rehabilitation https://t.co/5j7p0kTTSm11:06am, Jul 12, 2017
- Prisons & Probation Ombudsman highlights the urgent need to address rise in number of older prisoners https://t.co/fGqlvz4jEc2:26pm, Jun 29, 2017
- The Guardian highlights the ever-increasing challenges faced by older prisoners https://t.co/5khr4xNfBy12:59pm, Jun 26, 2017
- Good Practice Guides now available for Prisons and APs. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get a copy.10:20am, Jun 23, 2017
- @PrisonersAdvice gains valuable feedback from visits to RECOOP projects within prisons https://t.co/Z9FDQYrjXa11:31am, Jun 20, 2017
- HMP Eastwood Park HMIP Report states: "The provision for older women at EWP is very good” https://t.co/1G3SM5Y12I10:52am, Jun 09, 2017
- Success Coach & Trainer offers men @ The Lobster Pot tools to help them on their journey in prison and on release https://t.co/wBxXVVKaRY12:00pm, May 31, 2017
- First successful exchange visits between @recoop, @BrookdaleAging & @OsborneNY offering invaluable insight into differing CJ systems9:08am, May 03, 2017
- Lobster Pot: “an excellent resource providing a creative range of activities, support & assessment of need” HMIP https://t.co/NOfH8Fr1Hx10:25am, Feb 23, 2017