Exchange visits between RECOOP, The Brookdale Centre for Healthy Aging and The Osbourne Assoc.
Two members of the RECOOP team visited New York at the end of March as part of the first consultancy trip between RECOOP and The Brookdale Centre for Healthy Aging (City University of New York) and The Osbourne Association (a charity supporting offenders in the community across the state).
This fact-finding and orientation trip was a fascinating insight into the differing criminal justice model and pathway that offenders follow though the US Correctional Services system. The challenges for the older men and women in custody are no different to those here at home, however there is a larger number of them who have completed long sentences. Although some of the punitive sentencing practices appear to be changing, the impact of gun crime on sentence length is significant. Visiting Rickers Island facility that holds over 9000 offenders helped our understanding of the scale of incarceration in the US. Seeing dormitories holding 50 men was truly shocking and highlighted some of the huge challenges for the authorities in balancing punishment and rehabilitation.
Early in April we hosted delegates from the Osbourne Association to show them around our services and work in prisons. We were able to visit three prisons (Exeter, Dartmoor and Leyhill) and a number of community services. They found our Buddy Support Worker services in the Devon prisons, where we are training prisoners to support others with low- level social care need, of particular interest, together with the older resettlement day centre at Leyhill. The pre-release work with older offenders is an area that is lacking in the US and key to the transition through the gate and the support model being developed through this pilot project. The focus for the next stage is to develop some training to support community based health and social care practitioners in New York city.
To be continued….
- "It’s been enormously helpful to collaborate with RECOOP" Laura Roan @OsborneNY https://t.co/aNjRbQPV6G9:44am, Oct 09, 2017
- “All on the course felt empowered – even me!”– pilot ‘Transition 50+ Resettlement Programme’ is a resounding success https://t.co/DEOr2vggqt10:42am, Aug 18, 2017
- Ryan Harman, @PRTuk and RECOOP Trustee talks about Social Care in Prison https://t.co/KLAiMLptSx9:16am, Aug 07, 2017
- “Provision for older prisoners by The Lobster Pot was outstanding” - HMP Leyhill IMB Report https://t.co/vwPUitwCnC10:45am, Aug 01, 2017
- A personal story from an older prisoner so relevant to the challenges of our service-users https://t.co/cbfuqhHuEf9:37am, Jul 19, 2017
- RECOOP & SSAFA working together to give ex-servicemen and women a stronger chance of successful rehabilitation https://t.co/5j7p0kTTSm11:06am, Jul 12, 2017
- Prisons & Probation Ombudsman highlights the urgent need to address rise in number of older prisoners https://t.co/fGqlvz4jEc2:26pm, Jun 29, 2017
- The Guardian highlights the ever-increasing challenges faced by older prisoners https://t.co/5khr4xNfBy12:59pm, Jun 26, 2017
- Good Practice Guides now available for Prisons and APs. Contact email@example.com to get a copy.10:20am, Jun 23, 2017
- @PrisonersAdvice gains valuable feedback from visits to RECOOP projects within prisons https://t.co/Z9FDQYrjXa11:31am, Jun 20, 2017