The important role of Guest Speakers
Guest speakers form an important part of the activities organised by RECOOP in the various prisons in which we work.
Bristol Mind recently visited the Lobster Pot at HMP Leyhill when the men were given the opportunity to discuss their views on the stigma attached to mental health. So successful was the visit, that Mind requested to return to speak more about the services it can offer, both locally and nationally. It also suggested visiting on a quarterly basis so that new arrivals can be made aware of the support, both within prison and upon release
Also at the Lobster Pot, visits continue to be arranged by local Approved Premises. The opportunity for the men to learn more about Hostels manages so many anxieties and clarifies the many rumours that are spread.
The men at Guys Marsh were recently visited by Choice Support, a national social care charity providing support to people with learning/physical disabilities, as well as mental health issues. It also provides employent in Social Care for men and women on release from prison and was able to hand out applicaiton forms to suitable candidates and carry out interiews with those who were nearing release.
Other guest speakers include representatives from the Prisoners' Advice Service who, in addition to facilitating general group discussions, are also able to offer 1-2-1 sessions; Alzheimer's Society, Prostate Cancer and the RNIB who offered to deliver a two-day course to a number of prisoners dealing with sight loss issues.
RECOOP is indebted to them for sharing their knowledge and expertise.
If you work for an organisation that could offer support as a guest speaker to the work we do, or if you would like to access our groups, then please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
- “All on the course felt empowered – even me!”– pilot ‘Transition 50+ Resettlement Programme’ is a resounding success https://t.co/DEOr2vggqt10:42am, Aug 18, 2017
- Ryan Harman, @PRTuk and RECOOP Trustee talks about Social Care in Prison https://t.co/KLAiMLptSx9:16am, Aug 07, 2017
- “Provision for older prisoners by The Lobster Pot was outstanding” - HMP Leyhill IMB Report https://t.co/vwPUitwCnC10:45am, Aug 01, 2017
- A personal story from an older prisoner so relevant to the challenges of our service-users https://t.co/cbfuqhHuEf9:37am, Jul 19, 2017
- RECOOP & SSAFA working together to give ex-servicemen and women a stronger chance of successful rehabilitation https://t.co/5j7p0kTTSm11:06am, Jul 12, 2017
- Prisons & Probation Ombudsman highlights the urgent need to address rise in number of older prisoners https://t.co/fGqlvz4jEc2:26pm, Jun 29, 2017
- The Guardian highlights the ever-increasing challenges faced by older prisoners https://t.co/5khr4xNfBy12:59pm, Jun 26, 2017
- Good Practice Guides now available for Prisons and APs. Contact email@example.com to get a copy.10:20am, Jun 23, 2017
- @PrisonersAdvice gains valuable feedback from visits to RECOOP projects within prisons https://t.co/Z9FDQYrjXa11:31am, Jun 20, 2017
- HMP Eastwood Park HMIP Report states: "The provision for older women at EWP is very good” https://t.co/1G3SM5Y12I10:52am, Jun 09, 2017