The important role of Guest Speakers
Guest speakers form an important part of the activities organised by RECOOP in the various prisons in which we work.
Bristol Mind recently visited the Lobster Pot at HMP Leyhill when the men were given the opportunity to discuss their views on the stigma attached to mental health. So successful was the visit, that Mind requested to return to speak more about the services it can offer, both locally and nationally. It also suggested visiting on a quarterly basis so that new arrivals can be made aware of the support, both within prison and upon release
Also at the Lobster Pot, visits continue to be arranged by local Approved Premises. The opportunity for the men to learn more about Hostels manages so many anxieties and clarifies the many rumours that are spread.
The men at Guys Marsh were recently visited by Choice Support, a national social care charity providing support to people with learning/physical disabilities, as well as mental health issues. It also provides employent in Social Care for men and women on release from prison and was able to hand out applicaiton forms to suitable candidates and carry out interiews with those who were nearing release.
Other guest speakers include representatives from the Prisoners' Advice Service who, in addition to facilitating general group discussions, are also able to offer 1-2-1 sessions; Alzheimer's Society, Prostate Cancer and the RNIB who offered to deliver a two-day course to a number of prisoners dealing with sight loss issues.
RECOOP is indebted to them for sharing their knowledge and expertise.
If you work for an organisation that could offer support as a guest speaker to the work we do, or if you would like to access our groups, then please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Good Practice Guides now available for Prisons and APs. Contact email@example.com to get a copy.10:20am, Jun 23, 2017
- @PrisonersAdvice gains valuable feedback from visits to RECOOP projects within prisons https://t.co/Z9FDQYrjXa11:31am, Jun 20, 2017
- HMP Eastwood Park HMIP Report states: "The provision for older women at EWP is very good” https://t.co/1G3SM5Y12I10:52am, Jun 09, 2017
- Success Coach & Trainer offers men @ The Lobster Pot tools to help them on their journey in prison and on release https://t.co/wBxXVVKaRY12:00pm, May 31, 2017
- First successful exchange visits between @recoop, @BrookdaleAging & @OsborneNY offering invaluable insight into differing CJ systems9:08am, May 03, 2017
- Lobster Pot: “an excellent resource providing a creative range of activities, support & assessment of need” HMIP https://t.co/NOfH8Fr1Hx10:25am, Feb 23, 2017
- Excited to be working with @BrookdaleAging and @OsborneNY supporting communities to better integrate re-entering older adults in New York9:23am, Jan 23, 2017
- RECOOP invited to work with detainees at IRC The Verne providing mental and physical activities for older population https://t.co/ia6RNij8il11:11am, Dec 05, 2016
- “Looking at things through a different set of eyes” Gov HMP Ford on RECOOP’s ‘Achieving Better Outcomes’ training https://t.co/xZT1CA6Nta11:04am, Nov 29, 2016
- Delighted to have had @RNIB in the Lobster Pot talking about sight loss & services available from Action for Blind People. Come back soon!8:50am, Nov 18, 2016