The Lobster Pot – “an excellent resource”
The HMIP report on their unannounced inspection of HMP Leyhill in September 2016, has recently been published. RECOOP has run a Day Centre there (The Lobster Pot) for the past nine years and the increase in footfall not only reflects the increase in the number of older prisoners at Leyhill, but also its success in providing a centre for the over-50s, encouraging purposeful activity and social interaction, with all activities geared towards the nine pathways of reducing reoffending. This ensures older prisoners develop skills and strategies to live purposeful and active lives both in prison and on release.
The HMIP Report stated:
“Older prisoners were positive about their care and there was good support for them, enhanced by some excellent activities and assistance provided by the Lobster Pot, a drop-in centre for the over-50s.
The Lobster Pot was an excellent resource, providing a creative range of activities, support and assessment of need.
The Lobster Pot ran regular, well-advertised health care events linked to national initiatives, including dementia and prostate cancer awareness.
Staff working in the Lobster Pot also provided some support to individuals who needed help to sort out their finances and debts.
The prison held a substantial number of older prisoners and those with disabilities. Older prisoners were positive about their care, and there was good support for them, enhanced by some excellent activities and assistance provided by the Lobster Pot.
The Lobster Pot ran regular, well-advertised health care events linked to national initiatives, including dementia and prostate cancer awareness”.
If you would like further information on the Day Centres we run, or would like to discuss RECOOP setting-up one in your prison, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lobster Pot: “an excellent resource providing a creative range of activities, support & assessment of need” HMIP https://t.co/NOfH8Fr1Hx10:25am, Feb 23, 2017
- Excited to be working with @BrookdaleAging and @OsborneNY supporting communities to better integrate re-entering older adults in New York9:23am, Jan 23, 2017
- RECOOP invited to work with detainees at IRC The Verne providing mental and physical activities for older population https://t.co/ia6RNij8il11:11am, Dec 05, 2016
- “Looking at things through a different set of eyes” Gov HMP Ford on RECOOP’s ‘Achieving Better Outcomes’ training https://t.co/xZT1CA6Nta11:04am, Nov 29, 2016
- Delighted to have had @RNIB in the Lobster Pot talking about sight loss & services available from Action for Blind People. Come back soon!8:50am, Nov 18, 2016
- Artwork created by RECOOP Buddy Support Worker selected for @KoestlerTrust @southbankcentre exhibition https://t.co/VDmjgA8dZR10:59am, Nov 17, 2016
- 100% success rate for participants in HMP Send on Healthy Eating & Living in Prison programme developed by RECOOP https://t.co/LZsEbWJ5V79:30am, Oct 25, 2016
- Looking forward to attending @LangleyHseTrust @kainoscommunity Annual Review Launch & working alongside you in the Criminal Justice System11:01am, Oct 11, 2016
- RECOOP's Devon Buddy Scheme included as example of good practice in recent "Seeing prisoners as Assets" resource published by ADASS11:51am, Sep 28, 2016
- RECOOP and the Buddy Support Scheme is highlighted as an example of excellence in IMB yearly report https://t.co/Ms7QrwU1FU12:32pm, Aug 16, 2016