The Lobster Pot – “an excellent resource”
The HMIP report on their unannounced inspection of HMP Leyhill in September 2016, has recently been published. RECOOP has run a Day Centre there (The Lobster Pot) for the past nine years and the increase in footfall not only reflects the increase in the number of older prisoners at Leyhill, but also its success in providing a centre for the over-50s, encouraging purposeful activity and social interaction, with all activities geared towards the nine pathways of reducing reoffending. This ensures older prisoners develop skills and strategies to live purposeful and active lives both in prison and on release.
The HMIP Report stated:
“Older prisoners were positive about their care and there was good support for them, enhanced by some excellent activities and assistance provided by the Lobster Pot, a drop-in centre for the over-50s.
The Lobster Pot was an excellent resource, providing a creative range of activities, support and assessment of need.
The Lobster Pot ran regular, well-advertised health care events linked to national initiatives, including dementia and prostate cancer awareness.
Staff working in the Lobster Pot also provided some support to individuals who needed help to sort out their finances and debts.
The prison held a substantial number of older prisoners and those with disabilities. Older prisoners were positive about their care, and there was good support for them, enhanced by some excellent activities and assistance provided by the Lobster Pot.
The Lobster Pot ran regular, well-advertised health care events linked to national initiatives, including dementia and prostate cancer awareness”.
If you would like further information on the Day Centres we run, or would like to discuss RECOOP setting-up one in your prison, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- “All on the course felt empowered – even me!”– pilot ‘Transition 50+ Resettlement Programme’ is a resounding success https://t.co/DEOr2vggqt10:42am, Aug 18, 2017
- Ryan Harman, @PRTuk and RECOOP Trustee talks about Social Care in Prison https://t.co/KLAiMLptSx9:16am, Aug 07, 2017
- “Provision for older prisoners by The Lobster Pot was outstanding” - HMP Leyhill IMB Report https://t.co/vwPUitwCnC10:45am, Aug 01, 2017
- A personal story from an older prisoner so relevant to the challenges of our service-users https://t.co/cbfuqhHuEf9:37am, Jul 19, 2017
- RECOOP & SSAFA working together to give ex-servicemen and women a stronger chance of successful rehabilitation https://t.co/5j7p0kTTSm11:06am, Jul 12, 2017
- Prisons & Probation Ombudsman highlights the urgent need to address rise in number of older prisoners https://t.co/fGqlvz4jEc2:26pm, Jun 29, 2017
- The Guardian highlights the ever-increasing challenges faced by older prisoners https://t.co/5khr4xNfBy12:59pm, Jun 26, 2017
- Good Practice Guides now available for Prisons and APs. Contact email@example.com to get a copy.10:20am, Jun 23, 2017
- @PrisonersAdvice gains valuable feedback from visits to RECOOP projects within prisons https://t.co/Z9FDQYrjXa11:31am, Jun 20, 2017
- HMP Eastwood Park HMIP Report states: "The provision for older women at EWP is very good” https://t.co/1G3SM5Y12I10:52am, Jun 09, 2017